The Institute of Floriculture was founded in 1949 and Prof. Dr. R. Maatsch was appointed as the first chair. The building of the institute, including several growth chambers and laboratories, was completed in 1954. Prof. Dr. R. Maatsch retired in 1973, and Prof. Dr. K. Zimmer became his successor until the year 2000, when Prof. Dr. Margrethe Serek was appointed to the chair and leader of Floriculture.
In 1994 the Institute of Floriculture extended its research and teaching activities by appointing a new professor in Developmental Physiology, Prof. Dr. G. Scherer. In 1997 the Institute for Floriculture merged with two other units and formed Institute for Floriculture, Tree Nursery Science and Plant Breeding. In 2006 Plant Breeding became a part of Institute for Genetic. The Institute name was changed to the Institute of Ornamental and Woody Plant Science with three independent sections: Floriculture, Tree Nursery Science, and Molecular Plant Physiology.
The most recent reorganization took place in 2013, when the Institute of Horticultural Production Systems was founded. Presently the institute consists of six independent sections: Vegetable Systems Modelling, Phytomedicine, Woody Plant and Propagation Physiology, Fruit Science, Biosystems Engineering, and Floriculture.